Sunday, June 5, 2011

If you meet a sadhu on the road ...



On our last day in Rishikesh, I took a hike away from the Indian tourists.


A sadhu, or wandering holy man, walked up to me. He said his name was Baba and thathe was from Mumbai.  Like  many sadhus, he wanders around the country, asking for donations. I gave him 50 rupees, about a dollar.

Baba asked about me and my life. He said he noticed our party wandering
around town because we were among the only westerners.

Small-time independent yogis await customers.

A handicraft salesman talks with his daughter.

A student reads at an ashram.


And then we departed down the mountain and went back to Delhi by train.

Indian trains are notoriously crowded, as these passengers illustrate in the Haridwar station.

No comments:

Post a Comment